CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Really Know Why I'm Doing This...

I guess to start off with is that I want to start writing again. I've found myself observing so much and thinking in the form of literature. For example, when I hear oldies at my work, I think, "Oldies music to me is like what the St. Michael prayer is to the devil himself."

This blog was originally to give people insight on how it feels to be a Mexican-American in today's society; in the midst of all the issues going on. It's hard. It's hard being torn. Torn between my heritage and my country. It's hard having that pressure from friends with the ultimate extremes of "Send them all back," and "How can you turn your back on your people?" It's hard being an American and knowing the possibility of being asked to show my "papers" and then turn around and get a dirty look from someone who doesn't appreciate the fact that I don't speak Spanish. I've been told that I need to keep my culture. Honestly, how many white people do you see walking down the street speaking Gaelic or German to each other? Or do you ever see black people conversing in languages such as Afrikaans? My friend and co-worker, "Bradley" says that culture is something you make. It's your family, your language, the way you do things, your beliefs, etc. He says if anyone tries to tell you you don't have "the culture," then they're ignorant. I must say I agree. I'm just me. I have my personality and the experiences in life that have made me who I am today. It really doesn't matter if I've never been to a Quinceanera or if I'm living the American dream. That doesn't make me..well, me.

By the way, Chiquita Banana is a nickname my sister gave me when I was a kid. In the winter time, my skin turns to a yellow tinted tan and in the summer, it's ripens just like a banana and turns into a darker shade. And often times, people refer to me as a coconut (dark on the outside, white on the inside) but Chiquita Banana suits me better. Considering that my blog was originally going to be about this particular issue (which it will be about other things too), I thought the name was perfect. So I'm sticking to it. Just so you know, give me your feedback. You don't have to agree with me so don't worry about hurting my feelings. Or if you have any ideas on my thoughts on something or if you want me to write a story about anything (and I'm mean anything), I encourage you to write it.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this and there will be more to come!

0 comments: